Friday, May 7, 2010

Edward Lear



"I long to return to Sorrento,
To the lonely sea and sky.
I left my vest and socks there,
I wonder if they're dry."
Spike Milligan

Edward Lear (1818-1888) will forever be known mainly as the nonsense poet. I came across his poetry years ago through Spike Milligan, another mad genius. Lear traveled widely, eventually settling in San Remo, Italy in 1871.

He is less known as an artist, and yet he published many travel writings and illustrated many books. These images are from a beautiful set of lithographs by him, drawn on stone from life. I find these really charming.

Combine this reference material with the Schloss Schonbrunn murals or an Orientalist scene, and you have the makings of a classic mural.

1 comment:

  1. The talent is incredible!

    I love your posts. You can sure tell this is your passion.

    ReplyDelete